Your 2011 Business Plan Starts NOW!! What will the Internet say about you?
Last year, I posted a featured post which earned me some attention as well as some business from REALTORS that were either impressed with my enthusiasm, experience and/or good looks (kidding).
I believe that this year will be more important than the last. Let's face it, as we head for a new economic and political spectrum (please refrain from making partisan remarks), we will need to be ready for the GOOD, BAD or THE UGLY. The truth is we, either, are going to sink or swim. I don't know about you but I am not sinking!
The truth is 2010 seemed uncertain for many of us and behold! Here we still are doing what we know best and doing it right! What I do now is this, if I was able to survive this long and perform in 2010, I can't wait to get into 2011.
It is of no coincidence that I began last year's post with the title of Your 2010 Business Plan Started Days Ago: How To Market The Extended Homebuyer Tax Credit. Maybe I saw something that many of us didn't see or it was plain old luck..
The reailty is that at the time:
- We didn't believe that 90% of First-Time Home-buyers were going to search online.
- We didn't believe that out of the 90%, there were approximately 70-75% of them that go with the first REALTOR they find (ONLINE).
- We weren't convinced that adopting Internet Marketing, Social Media and Blogging was an effective tool to grow our business.
- We didn't believe that direct mail, postcards, and flyers were not only dead but that it was not a petrified species found at the bottom of our desks (sometimes useful if you know what you are doing. Sorry, many of you do not).
WE'RE CONVINCED NOW!! And by any chance you haven't bought into this yet/ still, well read on.. I believe it still drives a message home. My blog post went exactly like this except the stats are recent (the parentheses are last years numbers):
I posted a blog on USDA: Running Out Of Funds? UPDATE as of 06/01/10 - USDA NOW HAS FUNDS in AR and also on my Facebook. I had approximately 5 (45) posts on the AR blog and about 47 (26) personal replies and on Facebook I had no posts and about 35 (30) personal replies. I hyperlinked the blogs with www.Bitly.com and had about 41 (33) people opt to follow me on Twitter. If you are left wondering what were the personal replies about, the majority of them were from REALTORS asking me to share with them some marketing ideas and as to when I thought USDA would have funds available. Get this? REALTORS asking ME for marketing tips! Well, I confess! This is my expertise and I am a marketing wiz of sorts.
What is my point? Well I started marketing the idea of marketing the USDA: Running Out Of Funds? UPDATE as of 06/01/10 - USDA NOW HAS FUNDS on my blog that resulted a total of 3398 (1300) views, 87 (134) replies and additions to my database of which I was able to generate 15 (7) appointments with REALTORS and it also generated about 12 (4) referral (buyers) clients to my team. I would say that was a pretty big start. Don't stop the press yet, I just got started! To simplify what I have and continue to do, let me make it simple:
- Blog, blog, blog and then blog some more.
- Sign up on as many blog sites as you can and write material worthy of reading and educate the masses (learn more at www.tedcanto.com).
- Let people know about anything and everything that is affecting, effecting or going to affect their home buying decisions.
- Call, call, call and then call some more on your database.
- This is the foremost important aspect to what we do as sales consultants. WE TALK!! Do I need to say more
- Do not call asking if your client wants to buy or sell. They likely DO NOT!! Use them to extend the word out to their sphere of influence. Let them know that this is the best opportunity for them to help their friends and family take advantage of historic lows and INSANE LOW RATES!!
- Ask your clients if they are in need of an attorney, accountant, housing counselor, loan officer - YOU GET THE POINT?
- Conduct more calls!
- Get together with your Marketing Rep and/ or Loan Officer
- Strategize on a viable marketing plan (FYI: This takes speaking to a real Marketing Rep. (Not someone who is going to just throw postcards at you) or even an LO who understands marketing (not many do). Not an LO who just answers calls and sends preapproval letters. I am an LO and I can tell you that many just don't get it too well.
- Obtain a list of homeowners that purchased in 2003-2007 and still live in their homes. Believe me, there are more than you think. Here in Arizona the count was in the 100's of thousands.
- With the help of your Marketing Rep and/or LO, devise a letter worth reading and highly informative.
- Don't try to be elegant on the letter.
- Think about this.. When you get a letter solicitation in the mail in 10-12 size font: How Many Seconds Does It Take You To Throw It Away?
- Now think about this: When you get a letter solicitation in the mail with big 18-42 size font: How Many "MINUTES" Does It Take You To Throw It Away?
- BIG, LOUD, and GAUDY WORKS!!
- Take out your check book. There will be an investment and make sure it is well worth it. The best things are not free and take TIME, MONEY and DEDICATION. Sorry! No Freebies here.
- Talk to an web designer, call a Social Media company, talk to anyone and everyone who may have value for your business.
- Repeat Step 1 through 3 all over again.
Fellow associates... this is not rocket science but it does involve some hard work and dedication. Keep in mind that Real Estate & Mortgage sales and is a lot like holiday shopping where now everyone begins as early as September to buy gifts. For us, we go selling! October, November and December is our 2011 New Year. Our 2011 is already in the works. If you are not devising and/or implementing a plan of attack, you leave the playing field open to the REALTOR & LO next door. We must earn our keep and get our hands dirty and consult our clients to the best of our ability. As you already know, the cream of the crops is rising in the industry and there will be more collateral damage.
As always, the 90/10 Rule Applies here.. What will the Internet say about you?
Direct lender and licensed in most states across the U.S.
Real Estate Information You Can Trust
Sr. Mortgage Consultant
Ted's Blog: www.thecantoteam.com
Home of the 10 Day Close! www.tendayclose.com
Company site: www.academymortgage.com/tedcanto